Having a international passport is not as difficult as first imagined. With the international passport one is capable of travelling anywhere around the world, yes around the world.
When the passport expires then what do you do? Well this article will help enlighten you on how to go about renewal of passports and other things.
Nigeria introduced e-passport as of January 15 2019, and has a validity period of 10 years. The e-passport works hand in hand with the old passport.
When was the e-passport anounced
The Comptroller-General disclosed plans to issue this new passport in 2018.
Mr Mohammad Babandede shared the good news while visiting Governor Abiola Ajimobi of Oyo State in Ibadan. “We thank President Muhammadu Buhari for approving the new passport with 10 years validity. We have also repositioned and improved on our services as directed by the president,” he said.
When Was e-passport Unveiled
On January 15, 2019, the Nigerian federal government introduced a new international electronic passport at the State House, Abuja.
The passport was presented to President
Muhammadu Buhari, the first family and the vice president, Yemi Osinbajo, by Mohammad Babandede, the Comptroller General of the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) during the unveiling ceremony.
It has a validity period of 10 years unlike the old one which has a validity period of 5 years.
The e-passport has the following advantages and they include:
• Enhanced security
Speaking with Channels Television , the Comptroller said, ” 10 years after the enrollment of the e-passport system, we need to improve the security features.
“You can’t keep documents for 10 years without seeing decreased values in them, so we are improving the security features which would raise the standards of the passports, ” he added.
• Weather Friendly
The NIS has said that this new passport is “weather friendly” as it has polycarbonate technology that leaves no room for damage.
The new passport, which contains 64 pages, costs N70,000. There are cheaper options but these will not be valid for 10 years.
The new standard passport, with 32 pages and a five-year validity period, costs N25,000 while the 64-booklet passport will cost N35,000. The latter will also last for only five years.
The e-passport is already available to the public.
For the renewal these are things you need to know
We have various price range for renewal and it has age dependent factor too they include:
If you want to have 32 pages, these are the fees you can expect:
1. For people of ages 0 to 17 the fee is ₦8,750;
2. For people of ages 18 to 59 the fee is ₦15,000;
3. For people of ages 60+ the fee is ₦8,750.
4. For 64 pages, then the fee is ₦20,000 regardless of age.
As for the Nigerian passport cost for people abroad, the fees for a 32-page booklet are as follows:
• For people of ages 0 to 17 the fee is $65;
• For people of ages 18 to 59 the fee is $94;
• For people of ages 60+ the fee is $65.
• For 64 pages, then the fee is $125 regardless of age.
There is also the address verification fee you will need to pay, which is ₦2,000, bank charges are not included. The administrative charges are not refundable, but if you mistakenly pay twice, you will be able to get your money back.
Requirements Needed For Renewal
The following requirements are needed and they include:
• Passport booklet;
• Application letter;
• Evidence of Payment and acknowledgement slip;
• A copy of your passport’s data page.
If you want to renew the passport that has not expired yet, and there are more than 6 months left, in addition to the aforementioned documents you will also need to state your reasons for renewing the passport.
Renewal Application Steps
There are various steps to following during the renewal process and they include:
1. Go to portal.immigration.gov.ng and complete the passport application.
2. Make the payment and get an Application ID and Reference. The website mentioned above contains all the necessary information on the payment.
3. Take your application, along with other things we have specified previously to the passport office you have chosen during your application.
4. If you are abroad at the moment of applying for a passport renewal, you will need to take your application to the nearest Nigerian Consulate, High Commission or Embassy.
5. If your passport is older than 6 months, you will need to have your picture and biometric data taken at your chosen Immigration Office.
After that, all you have to do is wait until your passport is ready to be collected.