Bread is now very common in Africa moat especially in this part of the world where it is sold at every nook and cranny in the society ranging from the locally made bread called agege bread to the more executive ones.
Bread has become a much needed package people travelling to various places go with. There is no better feeling Goan making your own bread because this affords you the opportunity to make it in your own unique taste and size.
This article will help you know the rudiments needed when you want to make your own bread.
Steps For Most Bread Recipes
Step 1: Bring together the bread ingredients.
Ingredients such as warm water, granulated sugar, instant OR active dry yeast, salt, vegetable or canola oil and flour.
Step 2: Dissolve the yeast and activate it by Proofing
This is a simple process that takes about 5 minutes. It’s possible to kill yeast if you use too hot of water, so aim for slightly warmer than luke-warm, or about 105°F. Combine warm water, yeast and 1 tablespoon of the granulated sugar in your mixing bowl. Give it a quick stir and then let it sit for 5 minutes. You’ll begin to see the yeast puff up until it covers the entire surface of the water.
Step 3: Add remaining ingredients and mix
Add the rest of the sugar, the oil, salt and flour, then mix using an electric mixer until it’s well combined, about 2 minutes. You can mix by hand but it will take longer.
Step 4: Knead the Bread
Kneading dough allows gluten to form which enables dough to rise better, be lighter and fluffier. you can knead by hand or with a mixer. I use the dough hook on my mixer and knead for 7 minutes. If you knead by hand, you’ll want to knead for 10-11 minutes, depending on how consistent you are.
Step 5: First Rise
Place your lovely smooth, elastic bread dough in an oiled bowl and cover it with plastic wrap or a clean towel. I think plastic wrap works better because it traps hot air inside and thus, my dough requires a shorter first rise. Be sure to spray the side of the plastic wrap that will touch the dough with oil.
Step 6: Punch Dough and Shape it
Punching the dough down quickly releases any air pockets that have developed and helps your bread have a more consistent rise and texture. Shape your dough by rolling it gently into a ball and rolling it 2 or 3 times on the countertop so that the ball is more oblong.
Step 7: Second rise
This can be done in a warm oven. The oven is on when doing the punching and shaping, then when the dough is put in the oven, the oven is then turned off and left in there. The second rise takes about 30 minutes
Step 8: Bake the bread
The baking process takes between 30-40 minutes. The temperature of the oven for a fully naked bread is between 190-200 degree F. If milk is used as part of the ingredient when baking then the temperature of the oven needs to be 200 degree F for a fully baked bread.
Step 9: Cool the bread
Cool baked bread in the pan for 10-15 minutes, then overturn pan and turn loaf out onto a cooling rack or folded towel to finish cooling. If you leave the bread in the pan for much longer than that, you’ll steam it, which may cause some parts of your loaf to go soggy. No one likes soggy bread.
Easy Homemade Bread
• 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
• 1/2 cup white sugar
• 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
• 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 1/4 cup vegetable oil
• 5-6 cups flour
1. In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam, about 5 minutes.
2. Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time.
3. Knead dough for 7 minutes. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
4. Punch dough down. Knead for 1 minute and divide in half. Shape into loaves and place into two greased 9×5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30-40 minutes.
6. Cool, brush with butter and enjoy.
Easy Steps For Making Loaf Of Bread In Bread Machine.
• 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
• 1/4 cup white sugar
• 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
• 3/4 teaspoons salt
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 3 cups flour
1. Add the ingredients to the bread pan of your machine in the following order: water, oil, flour, sugar and salt. Make a small well in the dry ingredients and add yeast.
2. Place bread pan in machine. Close lid and set bread machine to bake a loaf of basic white bread.
3. Let bread cool when bread machine has completed the full cycle. (Mine takes 3.5 hours.) Remove from machine & pan. Brush with butter and enjoy.
Why don’t you start making your own home delicious bread and enjoy.